[ Return to Main Page
] [ Return to Projects Index
] [Doc's Machine & TWB Store
] [ Contact Us
[ The Whiteboard Webcomic
Anayak "Exacto" Vertical Mill Rebuild, Part 22:
At this point, I've been using the mill off and on for a couple of months now, and have periodically wanted
the option of turning the speed down a touch using the VFD. The control wire to the switch also wasn't
shielded, nor did it have enough conductors to add the speed pot, so I picked up a stock of 6-conductor
shielded, and set about rewiring the whole mess... again. :) The start switch was easy...
But space inside the box was a bit tight for the potentiometer. So I popped one of the
knock-out plugs out, and whipped up this little stepped washer to go in its place.
The pot then fits in the case at the back, like so. Also note the added strain relief for the control cable.
Wired and enclosed, and given a knob I'd made for the Sheldon VFD years ago.
The speed knob is out of the way, but easily accessible and unobtrusive.
I routed the low-voltage control wire into the left side of the column, through what used to be
the port for the flood coolant nozzles. I have no plans to run flood coolant on this machine,
so it was an ideal way to run the cord through to the VFD in the control cabinet.
In order to spiff up the wire routing, I bandsawed a 'coin' out of 1/2" aluminum plate,
drilled and countersunk it to match the column holes, and used a scrap of old material
as a fixture in order to turn it round and smooth it up in the lathe.
Flipping it over in the same fixture let me bore a shallow recess for the wire, and then move it
over to the mill to cut a 1/4" round-bottom slot to let the wire pass through.
The edge of the hole in the casting was kind of sharp, so I gave it a quick touch with the die grinder.
A quick scuff with some Scotchbrite, and it looks like it's supposed to be there. :)
And while I was in there fiddling around with what may or may not have been live wires, I took a spare
rotary power switch and installed it in an existing hole in the control cabinet door. I routed power from the
wall through that switch to the VFD, so I can easily shut off the whole machine if for some reason I won't
be using it for some time. Not really necessary, but I had the switch and a place to put it, so hey. :)
All wrapped up, fully tested, and ready to use!
Both cables have enough free length to hopefully accomodate any ram setting,
amount of head tilt, or any other angle I might need to move it to.
We're awful close, but not quite done yet...
All text, photos and graphics
Copyright 1998- 2017, Doc's Machine & Airsmith Services. All Rights
Information contained in
these pages is for reference and entertainment
purposes only. Our methods are not always the best,
quickest, safest, or even the correct ones. It's up to you to know how
to use your own machines and tools.
Keep your fingers away from the spinny blades o' death and you should
be all right.