Once the head was largely disassembled, it was a simple matter to sort the parts out, clean what needed
to be cleaned, and start preparations for repairs and reassembly. Most of the small bits shown here
just needed a cleaning and a coat of fresh paint. (In part just to get rid of that nasty green. :)
Starting with the base casting, the pressure washer got rid of the grunge, Scotchbrite got rid of the rust,
and a little sanding (and more Scotchbrite) got the rest ready for a coat of paint.
As with most of the machines I've rebuilt, I used an Alkyd enamel in a generic Machine Grey, over
a brown primer. I didn't worry too much about trying to smooth out the casting first.
Now, as I've done with some of my other machines, I wanted to add rubber feet, partly for the vibration dampening,
and partly because my shop floor is not quite level, and adjustable feet help compensate. They're easy to make out
of some thrift-shop hockey pucks, some carriage bolts, and appropriate hardware.
First, we drill the pucks for a 1/2" through-hole.
Then counterbore a recess on what will become the bottom side.
The counterbore just has to be big enough to clear the head of the carriage bolt.
Then just turn most of the square shank out from under the carriage bolt head.
The remainder helps it lock to the puck as you tighten the nut.
In this case, I thinned the head of the carriage bolt a little, so it wouldn't contact the floor if or as anything vibrated around.
Add a wide washer and nut, and you have a rubber isolating machine foot.
Two more nuts and washers holds it to the machine base, and gives room for adjustment to level the machine.
And there we are, on base, completed and ready for the column.