[ Return to Main Page
] [ Return to Projects Index
] [Doc's Machine & TWB Store
] [ Contact Us
[ The Whiteboard Webcomic
Cleaning up an old Wellsaw M1000 Horizontal Bandsaw, Part 6:
weren't we done? because the previous gorilla had rewelded the piece back together at an angle.
I'm sure it moved a tad more when I did my own welding, but it was
already pretty badly tweaked even
before I started. Why didn't I take
care of that right at the beginning? Because I didn't know what was in
the welds- I suspected I'd find buried cracks and voids, and was not
I basically had to rebuild enough good metal just to have
enough to fix!
Anyway, now that it was mostly welded back together... I bandsawed it back apart.
Speaking of "expensive", that cut cost me a bandsaw blade. Thankfully it
was an older one that had a lot of use already,
but as I was getting
through to the inside of the "C" opening, where a lot of the original
weld was left, I ran into a
hard spot. Not surprising, as cast iron has a
lot of carbon, and the mild steel welding rod soaks up a lot of it
during the weld, then cools and hardens into a low grade of high-carbon
tool steel. So, once the blade
hit it, I basically wiped the teeth smooth.
Cost of doing business, I guess, but on the plus side, note how the cut,
which when more or less right
down the center of my freshly-welded
area, has almost no porosity until it gets to the inner
edge where I
hadn't ground out the old weld.
A few seconds with a coarse belt on the belt grinder shaved the cut down
to let the pieces line up more
correctly, and started on a nice deep
vee-groove in preparation for welding.
The smaller part I took the little 4" grinder to and hogged off most of
the old weld, and the start of a crack on the
left edge. I didn't try to
grind out all the old weld, I just got below any porosity and cracks
and called it good.
Once the weld itself was ground down, I grooved off the rest of the edge for better weld penetration.
The larger half got the same treatment, leaving just enough of the
to let the two parts "index" back together reasonably well.
After that, it was a good 30-40 minutes of piling on some Muggy rod,
letting it cool a skosh, chipping and
sandblasting off the slag, piling
more weld on, lather, rinse, repeat. I did get- or opened up- some small
additional cracks, so I had to grind those out and reweld, plus I had
to build up edges so I'd have enough
meat to grind down to shape, and of
course the occasional gas bubble hole, etc. But I finally got it
Both welding cycles cost me something like eight Muggy rods- at something like $9 each.
Once it was reasonably cool and sandblasted again, I spent a jaunty hour
or so with two electric grinders,
four air grinders and the belt
grinder to get it looking reasonably close to factory profile again.
Sandblasted again and it's looking pretty smooth. There was still a bit
of porosity here and there, but I was starting
to chase my tail trying
to get it all filled in- and as it is, I was down to two-thirds of one
stick of Muggy left.
Note how when it's sandblasted, there's a slight change in color of the welded area.
Aaand finally, given a quick coat of self-etching primer.
All text, photos and graphics
Copyright 1998- 2019, Doc's Machine & Airsmith Services. All Rights
Information contained in
these pages is for reference and entertainment
purposes only. Our methods are not always the best,
quickest, safest, or even the correct ones. It's up to you to know how
to use your own machines and tools.
Keep your fingers away from the spinny blades o' death and you should
be all right.