[ Return to Main Page
] [ Return to Projects Index
] [Doc's Machine & TWB Store
] [ Contact Us
[ The Whiteboard Webcomic
Saving a 1943 Springfield Engine Lathe, Part 24:
Another bit that I cleaned, painted and then set aside is this block. I'm not sure what the proper name for it is,
but it's the block at the tailstock end that supports the feed rod, threading rod, leadscrew reverse rod
and clutch rod. It's the rod support block. :)
Anyway, like the boss on the QCGB, the clutch-rod bushing is badly worn. I'll have to rebush it too at some point.
Supporting two constantly-turning rods and one occasionally-sliding rod means they all need lube, and so this unit
has a rather generous reservoir that feeds all but the bottommost shaft, protected by a hinged sheetmetal cover.
The reservoir has two blocks of felt as 'wicks' to both store and filter the oil and to regulate the feed to the rods.
On the side, is a spring-loaded detent, which engages a (not seen here) paddle with three grooves in it-
that holds the feed rod in three positions: Forward, reverse and neutral.
The detent, however, would hardly move, and I could not get it out. It's in a blind hole, so there was no way
to push or blow it out, so I resorted to trying to drill it, thinking I could thread a tap into the hole and pull
it out that way. However, the action of drilling it managed to spin it free, and I was able to extract it.
I'll have to make a replacement plunger, but that's an easy job.
Finally, stripped bare, cleaned thoroughly, painted and after the paint
had cured, I set it, too, aside to await the eventual reassembly.
All text, photos and graphics
Copyright 1998- 2018, Doc's Machine & Airsmith Services. All Rights
Information contained in
these pages is for reference and entertainment
purposes only. Our methods are not always the best,
quickest, safest, or even the correct ones. It's up to you to know how
to use your own machines and tools.
Keep your fingers away from the spinny blades o' death and you should
be all right.